2016 Tour Homes
This large Victorian style house was built by Samuel Hirsch in the late 1880s, when Victorian architecture was at the height of its popularity. This property was once part of the original Archibald Howell estate. The home was owned by Robert N. and Mary Holland from 1890 to 1940. Mary Tate Holland’s grandfather, Samuel Tate, was the founder of Georgia Marble Company in Tate, Georgia, which could explain the marble accents found throughout the home. After Mrs. Holland passed away, the house was partitioned into apartments – perhaps during the population boom in Marietta during World War II – until 1972. In the time since it was an apartment building, the home has been owned and occupied by five families, including the current owners. Previous owners Carl and Carolyn Warnecke purchased the home in 1998, when it was still divided into many small living areas. The Warneckes renovated the home, taking it back to its original appearance and, at the same time, added the kitchen, the sunroom, and the back porch. The current owners, Bryan and Laura Higginbotham, purchased the home in 2014.
The Higginbothams have filled the home with family furniture and heirlooms passed down from their grandparents and great-grandparents. An interesting piece in the formal living room is the wall clock, which Mr. Higginbotham’s grandfather acquired when he was stationed in France and brought home to restore. The nursery is a highlight, as the wall décor and curtains were made by Mrs. Higginbotham. Of special note in the nursery is the bassinet, which has now been used by four generations.
This Victorian home was built around 1884 by Catharine Elliott. Mrs. Elliott was first married to The Rev. Joseph A Shanklin, an Episcopal priest in Charleston, SC. After his death in 1855, she married The Rev. James H. Elliott, another well-respected Episcopal priest in Charleston. After his death in 1877, she eventually moved to Marietta and built this home on a lot she bought from Archibald Howell. Mrs. Elliott sold the home to Fanny and Henry Rees in 1896.
Subsequent owners include Kathryn and Vincent Starr, Samuel Sibley, Carolyn and Strafford Hewitt, Frances and Cecil King, and Kathryne and Allen Crawford. Helen and Hoyt McClure bought the home in 1961 and lived here for 46 years. Mr. McClure was the Director of Southern Polytechnic University and oversaw the school’s move to Marietta. According to Dr. Lisa Rossbacher, former President of Southern Tech, Mr. McClure’s leadership was instrumental in the creation of Southern Tech.
Terri and Phil Biggers bought the home in 2008 and have done extensive renovations, including a complete renovation of the kitchen. In addition to this home, the Biggers have renovated five other homes in Marietta and one in Acworth. They received an award from Cobb Landmarks and Historical Society earlier this year for their work in restoring historic homes.
Many original features of the home remain intact. These include heart pine floors, pocket doors with Eastlake hardware, twelve foot ceilings, and a spacious front porch.
The Beane-Atenhan-Taylor House was built in the mid-1940s by Vann H. Beane, who owned the home until 1997. Todd and Sonja Atenhan owned the home for four years before the current owners, Jim and JoAnne Taylor, purchased the home in 2001. This home has had extensive additions and renovations to realize the simple beauty of the Arts and Crafts Bungalow style.
In the 15 years that the Taylors have owned the home, they have made many additions, including a new kitchen, sunroom, bathrooms, and carriage house. All of the interior furnishings were also done to highlight the beauty and simplicity of the Arts and Crafts movement. Most of the furniture throughout the house is Stickley. Gustav Stickley started making furniture in the early 20th century, using the Mission Oak Design. All pieces are solid wood construction and use only the highest quality wood. Several pieces in the house are Stickley reproductions that have been made by Mr. Taylor in his woodworking shop. Most of the fabrics in the house are designs of William Morris, an English textile designer associated with the British Arts and Crafts movement during the 1860s.
In 2007, the Taylors purchased the property across the street from their house and made it a neighborhood park for the enjoyment of the community.
This historic home was built in 1905 by J.H. Reed and J. Lloyd Reed. In 1914, the house was sold to W. A. Sams for $3,000. Sams lived in the house for 30 years until he sold it to Mrs. W. M. Murray in 1944. Over the next 20 years, it passed through several families until it was purchased by B. C. Yates and his wife Elizabeth Abbott Yates. Yates was the first superintendent of Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park and played a critical role in the development of the park. He later became a historian for the U. S. Forest Service and taught history at Reinhardt College. In 1985, after his death, Mrs. Yates sold the house to their daughter, Julia Yates Maloney. The current owners, Noel and Susan Rowe, purchased the house from Ms. Maloney in 2003.
The home started life as a traditional shotgun-style house, with a central hall going straight through to the back. At some point, the hallway was divided to provide for bathrooms and closets. It was used as a boarding house during World War II, like so many of the historic homes in Marietta to accommodate
the influx of workers at the Bell Bomber Plant.
The Rowes completely renovated the house, including adding central heat and air. The library had been added by the Yates, but the Rowes added the doors and window seat. There are four fireplaces in the home that share two chimneys. The Rowes have an eclectic collection of art works, many of which were purchased on their travels. Several of the paintings are by North Carolina artist James Ryder Murphy.
This Queen Anne cottage was built in 1905 on land that was originally part of the Archibald Howell estate. It was built by J.J. Black, a local builder, who sold the house to Mrs. Helen Northcutt in 1906. The house was purchased by A.D. Hadaway in 1917. Mr. Hadaway passed away in 1924, and the ownership passed to his wife. In the 1930s, Mrs. Hadaway married Pastor J.W. Reeves, a Baptist minister serving 13 churches in Cobb, Cherokee, Bartow, and Paulding counties. They lived in the house until 1968 and operated a neighborhood grocery store, “J.W. Reeves, Grocer,” at the rear of the house. Pastor Reeves performed hundreds of weddings in the home. Mr. and Mrs. Reddy purchased the house from the Reeves and sold it to Charles and Geraldine Tibbetts in 1970. The current owners, Wes and Emily Hogarth, purchased the property from the Tibbetts in 2016.
This lovely Victorian cottage showcases many period features, like the original porch woodwork (including the spindles), hardwood floors, and moldings. The upstairs hardwoods were reclaimed from old Marietta homes that were demolished in the 1970s and 1980s. The kitchen was moved from its initial location and a bathroom put in its place. The attic was converted into the master bedroom.
Of special note is the “J.W. Reeves, Gro” sign above the back door. It was the original sign from the grocery store. Also of interest is the large wooden chest which belonged to Mrs. Hogarth’s great-great-great-great grandparents, who emigrated from France in 1718.
The Brumby-Wallace-Dennington House, known today as Turnbull Manor, is named after the current owner’s Scottish family, the Turnbull clan. This beautiful Victorian house was built in 1883 for the Brumby family. For their new home, the Brumby family selected a lot on Kennesaw Avenue, which had previously been known as Cassville Road. Renamed Kennesaw Avenue in 1882, the road immediately became one of the most desirable addresses in Marietta and was coined the “Peachtree Street of Marietta” by The Marietta Journal in 1885.
The home has three stories and features eight fireplaces, original heart pine floors, pocket doors, and heavily detailed millwork that is typical of the Victorian era. Purchased by Robin and Jim Trimble in 2015, the home is furnished with a collection of antiques and family pieces dating back to the 18th century. The portrait at the front entry is Colonel Trimble’s great-great grandmother, Anna Mercer Minge Dunlop, and was painted by James Westhall Ford, who is known for painting several portraits of Thomas Jefferson. One of the notable features of the home is the lincrusta wallpaper ceiling in the kitchen, which replicates old tin ceilings. Visitors will especially enjoy the fresh local greenery used to decorate the home in a style reminiscent of a Victorian Christmas.