Return to home page

The Marietta Pilgrimage
A Christmas Home Tour through Marietta, Georgia

 

St. James Episcopal Church, c. 1878

Lawrence Chapel
161 Church Street

 

PhotoThe Lawrence Chapel, named for Robert de Trevelle Lawrence, was built in 1878. He organized its construction by leading the Sunday school boys in hauling stone from nearby Kennesaw Mountain. The original church sanctuary was destroyed by fire in 1964. but many of the original furnishings and the cross were spared. The original church was used for military purposes during the Civil War. James Remley Brumby, a local furniture manufacturer who made the famous "Brumby Rocker," made much of the furniture in the chapel. Lawrence Chapel was used as a Sunday school building until 1956, when it was renovated into the present chapel.